Friday, October 15, 2004

Writer's block

I had this idea that I should write wonderful, thrilling and confounding murder mysteries and show those authors who can't write fast enought for me how it is done. But before I could start, I hit a serious block. To write crime novels, the writer has to have quite a lot of knoweldge of both the bad guys and the good guys. She needs to know things like police procedure, foresic science and the law. The author has describe crime scenes so realistically that the reader feels they are truly there. The writer must understand and write about the bad guy's personality, what he/she looks like, thinks about and their dreams and desires. Essentially, one has to get into their minds. Me!

Nah, not this chicken. I only seen exactly two horror movies and was so tramatised that for days I could not sleep without a light on (well that has not changed, but I have a new excuse nowadays). I who shut my eyes at bang bang scenes and hate the sight of blood and violence. I did not know what I was thinking of. I would have to visit jails (who me?)and talk to the baddies, talk to the police - well not so bad, but who wants to go to the police station, read psychology and things like that. Besides, who wants to get into the mind of murderers, rapists and psychotic killers. Who wants to make nice with all these baddie, bad enough that they are nasty in fiction who wants to meet the real thing.

That dream has been quashed, and never allowed to surfaces.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nyakehu said...

Uaridi

Not all crime writers have to be and do all those things there is something called the imagination which is wonderful thing. That is why people can write sci-fi novels. Hehehehe

10/15/2004 12:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL @ Nyakehu's comment.

Ua Ridi you should still try and write..I would read your work.

Kui

10/18/2004 10:13:00 pm  
Blogger Mshairi said...

You should not give up your dream so quickly and without giving it a go, at the very least! I would read your book too

10/19/2004 04:06:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favourite colour is purple. Not sure what this has to do with crime writing :)

10/21/2004 10:46:00 pm  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Never you mind child. Maybe I was going to write a story on your favourite colour but the colour purple has already been taken.

10/22/2004 02:53:00 pm  
Blogger Steve said...

I don't think you have to have a lot of knowledge of crime to write a good murder mystery. Doesn't it depend on who the characters are and why murder was done? Not all killers are psycho and not all detectives are police. Just a thought.

10/22/2004 10:53:00 pm  
Blogger Nyakehu said...

Who is Steve? Identify yourself? Where is your blog and can we read it. Ama

10/23/2004 01:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm..angalia Nyakehu..tayari tuko na Ms Colombo in our midst :)

10/31/2004 10:09:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home