Thursday, September 23, 2004

Babies and trust

I have a new niece. She is 22 days old, and absolutely beautiful. She is so tiny, she fits in my arm perfectly. Her feet and hands amaze me, they are so perfect, everying about her is perfectly formed, she has a whole head of hair (that's an African thing)

My tiny niece trusts us, her family to protect her, feed her, keep her warm and safe. When she is wet, she is changed automatically. When she is hungry, mummy is there to breastfeed her. She is bathed, clothed and has constant attention. She is never alone - she has people watching over her. At this time of her new life, she is the centre of her family's attention. Nobody else (apart from her mom) is as important as she is right now.

The most important lesson this tiny baby is teaching me, as I hold her is to trust in God. I must look to Him at all to take care of me like we take care of my tiny niece. I might be a 40+ independent and strong African woman, but I still need God my loving Father to provide for me which means feeding me, nursing my hurts and pains and comforting me when I feel sad, lonely and "like a motherless child". My tiny niece teaches me to trust. I am learning all over again. I TRUST that God will not let me down.

"In You O God I put my trust, let me not be put to shame..."

3 Comments:

Blogger Mshairi said...

Babies are just wonderful! And its good to hear that you are learning to trust by observing your niece.

9/23/2004 10:22:00 pm  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Poet, if we are open enough, we can learn from everything, especially babies.

9/24/2004 11:11:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe I haven't seen her yet! By the time I do she will be a ka-cucu :)

10/07/2004 06:28:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home