Friday, September 02, 2005

Suffer the child

A while back, I took the children to a gallery. A nephew is a budding artist, and I thought the works of artists long gone would encourage and challenge him. While in the gift shop I noticed a lady being stressed by a little boy about 3-4 years. So in my usual helpful (?) way, I went to see if I could be of service. It turned out that the boy - her grandson wanted a picture of a lion - he had just seen the "Lion King" and he was not impressed by the Turners, Picassos and Titians postcards and calendars being sold.

So I helped grandma look for a picture of a lion. There was none - but we persuaded him to accept a picture of a leopard. So I said to him in my cheerful, keep-baby happy voice, "Here pumpkin, see a leopard, he has spots" or words to that effect. The young man looked at me and said in a matter of fact voice - "Pay". It was a demand. "Okay Sir," I said "You are so right, stay right here, I will pay for it, and bring it to you right now". I paid for the postcard and brought it right back. His grandmother and mother - who came while I was paying for the postcard - were horrified, how dared he ask a total stranger to pay for his postcard. They were so embarassed, and could not apologise enough. Before the little drama became a great scene, they wanted to give me back the £1.00 something I spent, or the boy to return the postcard to me. (He was not having any of that!!) I assured the ladies that I was not offended. I explained that I am an aunty and things like that happen to me all the time. So I gave the child his card and asked for a kiss and a hug, which he did willingly.

The boy, who was blond and blue-eyed did not see my colour, all he knew was that before he could take the card, it had to be paid and since I picked it up, I was the most logical person to pay for it. There was no bad manners on the boy's side. He taught me a lesson - do not be afraid to ask for what you want. He so charmed me, I could have bought the whole gallery for him if he had asked for it.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Voice said...

You are a wise and thoughtful Human being - i take comfort in knowing souls such as you exist throughout the world.

J

9/02/2005 05:40:00 pm  
Blogger UARIDI said...

Thank you J. I have learnt my wisdom from children.

9/04/2005 01:57:00 pm  
Blogger Paul M. Martin said...

At first I thought the kid sounded like a spoiled brat, but then I saw what you meant. He knew what he wanted. You picked out the card. He knew it had to be paid for. So logically, it was going to be you! And then he was grateful.

Yeah, I also like the way young children, especially if they grow up in a diverse neighborhood, could't care less about racial or ethnic "issues." They don't see the "issues" at all...

9/05/2005 11:48:00 pm  
Blogger UARIDI said...

Yes Paul, children do not see colour at all. Would that we could be like them!!!

9/06/2005 01:48:00 pm  
Blogger akiey said...

Uaridi, I love the story about the kid & the postcard, and ofcourse the role you played in making it happen for him:)

You just taught me something I've increasingly been unable to do for the past 5 yrs: "not to be afraid to ask for what I want/need"
Thanks for sharing, & will be back some more.

9/12/2005 09:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home