Friday, September 02, 2005

Suffer the child

A while back, I took the children to a gallery. A nephew is a budding artist, and I thought the works of artists long gone would encourage and challenge him. While in the gift shop I noticed a lady being stressed by a little boy about 3-4 years. So in my usual helpful (?) way, I went to see if I could be of service. It turned out that the boy - her grandson wanted a picture of a lion - he had just seen the "Lion King" and he was not impressed by the Turners, Picassos and Titians postcards and calendars being sold.

So I helped grandma look for a picture of a lion. There was none - but we persuaded him to accept a picture of a leopard. So I said to him in my cheerful, keep-baby happy voice, "Here pumpkin, see a leopard, he has spots" or words to that effect. The young man looked at me and said in a matter of fact voice - "Pay". It was a demand. "Okay Sir," I said "You are so right, stay right here, I will pay for it, and bring it to you right now". I paid for the postcard and brought it right back. His grandmother and mother - who came while I was paying for the postcard - were horrified, how dared he ask a total stranger to pay for his postcard. They were so embarassed, and could not apologise enough. Before the little drama became a great scene, they wanted to give me back the £1.00 something I spent, or the boy to return the postcard to me. (He was not having any of that!!) I assured the ladies that I was not offended. I explained that I am an aunty and things like that happen to me all the time. So I gave the child his card and asked for a kiss and a hug, which he did willingly.

The boy, who was blond and blue-eyed did not see my colour, all he knew was that before he could take the card, it had to be paid and since I picked it up, I was the most logical person to pay for it. There was no bad manners on the boy's side. He taught me a lesson - do not be afraid to ask for what you want. He so charmed me, I could have bought the whole gallery for him if he had asked for it.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Voice said...

You are a wise and thoughtful Human being - i take comfort in knowing souls such as you exist throughout the world.

J

9/02/2005 05:40:00 pm  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Thank you J. I have learnt my wisdom from children.

9/04/2005 01:57:00 pm  
Blogger Uaridi said...

Yes Paul, children do not see colour at all. Would that we could be like them!!!

9/06/2005 01:48:00 pm  
Blogger akiey said...

Uaridi, I love the story about the kid & the postcard, and ofcourse the role you played in making it happen for him:)

You just taught me something I've increasingly been unable to do for the past 5 yrs: "not to be afraid to ask for what I want/need"
Thanks for sharing, & will be back some more.

9/12/2005 09:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home