Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sun fried rose

While almost everyone is moaning about the heat, and putting their fans at full blast, I am in my element. I am one of those poor sad creatures who suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD). So I come alive as soon as the temperature rises.

Well the other day as I was taking my ease after supper, reading and knitting as usual, I began to feel woozy, confused and about to faint - an unheard of occurrence. After a few panicky moments, I made a rather shaky walk to the bathroom and splashed myself with cold water. I began to feel clearer, so I went to the kitchen and downed several glasses of water. I was HOT, HOT, HOT; my whole body was radiating heat. For the next few hours, I did everything I could to lower my body temperature – showered, shampooed my hair and drank cold water.

Eventually, I told my roomie what had happened. According to said roomie, heatstroke happen to anyone, not just the elderly. When I explained to her what I had gone through the last few hours, she showed me a website (she’s good at things like that) that talks about heatstroke. This website said that once the human body reaches a certain temperature - which I do not wish to know - will not recover but will start cooking, like an egg, and death will surely follow.


Talk about a worm in the apple!!! Now by my side is a bottle of cold water and a spray of water to lower the temperature. NO,I do not have air-con and I cannot stand fans. To show that it is not just dumdum who was affected by the heat, my sister, nephew and niece had the same experience - in the same week.

On a serious note, I am aware that a large number of people, not just the elderly have died during this heatwave, and I hope that soon, the western governments will take global warming seriously and work towards reversing its effects.

Enjoy the summer carefully everyone!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pole!

London has been shockingly hot and I am glad it has cooled down recently. I love the heat in the tropics but the heat in London is tres unbearable.

8/10/2006 12:30:00 am  
Blogger Ananda said...

wow. that was something. it sounds like you are doing a bit better now. keep the fluids going. and i love the way you write. i hope to visit london soon like in 2007. i am a big fan of omar and julie dexter. i also totally dig this sista who edited a book called kin - women of color stories from london. awesome. if you know of any good uk black folk who write short stories or fiction let me know. i am living in dc ... chocolate city... in the states. it has been really hot here. today we got a reprieve. actually yesterday was good too. so i feel you on the western nations and taking global warming seriously. hey by the way i pay homage a bit to the black brits in my upcoming novel. one of my characters half brothers is from london by way of lahore, pakistan. he has a black dad and an indian momma. all good. paz, stay cool. ananda

8/10/2006 11:35:00 pm  
Blogger Diane said...

I didn't know summer in London is THAT hot. Over here in Malaysia it's either rain or shine. But people dying because of the heat, I haven't heard of such things here...

Please take care. Drink lots and lots of water. :) Hope you're feeling better now. God bless!

8/11/2006 06:42:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pole sana ..

just today some pals n I were arguing about what's less torturesome to find one's demise in the heat or in the cold (don't ask)..

8/11/2006 11:42:00 pm  
Blogger Darius said...

I heard the suggestion on the radio that one of the best things you can do is get in a tub of cool water...

8/14/2006 04:04:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home