Friday, March 31, 2006

What price beauty? or WHY???

Picture this: a warm WINDY spring day, pretty slim girl walking down the road - hunched up and wishing she had rocks in her pocket because the wind is threatening to carry her away. The problem is exacerbated by those new stilettos she is wearing because she is actually wobbling and praying most desperately that she will not fall or be swept away by the wind.
Talk about torture!!! The Chinese foot binding ritual was condemned as a crime against women; yet modern day woman willingly submits to this new form of torture daily. We all know that high heels can be hazardous to your health; orthopaedists have warned women for years that high heels can contribute to the development of a variety of illnesses from corns and calluses to hammertoes, arthritis, chronic knee pain, sprained ankles and back problems. Uncomfortable shoes often lead to calluses, heel pain, bunions, hammertoes, ingrown toenails and even stress fractures

I watch in amazement and amusement as women totter on their ridiculous high heels knowing (from experience of course) that by the end of the day, they will have headaches, backaches and feet ache. They will want a bowl of hot water to soothe their feet and one or three glasses of martini to calm their nerves. And for what? To look beautiful? Attractive? To complement their looks?

What prize beauty if after 30 or so years of wearing high heels, you have chronic back pain, calluses, heel pain, bunions, hammertoes, ingrown toenails and you can never wear low heels because your feet and legs conform to the shape of high heels. I personally know 2 women who can no longer wear flat shoes!!
Is this beauty or torture?

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My answer? That's torture whichever way you look at it.

Your post reminds me of a documentary on the Chinese foot binding tradition I watched once. I was really glad the practice has been eliminated - the women were in pain all through their lives; some had developed gangrene and their feet had to amputated. Arg!

3/31/2006 01:16:00 pm  
Blogger spicebear said...

i know what you mean about not being able to wear flat shoes once you get used to high heels, i had many weeks of adjusting once i "converted". needless to say i no longer wear ridiculously high heels.

i still do wear heels sometimes, but not much considering i walk around alot. but i have left the 6" heels to the brave!

3/31/2006 01:40:00 pm  
Blogger Samborera said...

Who's definition of beauty. Given, women look better in non-flat shoes, for some reason I can't explain.

3/31/2006 02:42:00 pm  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

Hammertoe is just a funny word. I giggle every time I see it or hear someone say it. :)
I've heard women/comediennes say that women get dressed for other women because men are not as critical about women's clothing and shoes. We just want you to look cute and smell nice. The extra stuff isn't really necessary.

3/31/2006 03:00:00 pm  
Blogger Shaggy said...

I will tell you exactly what it is. It is sexy ta silly. A chic on heels is very different from a chic in flip flops or sneekers. Heels tend to give the female specie some vulnerability, class and sassy at the same time.

I have't even mentioned how they help prop out the diab and accentuate the walk. See am a typical jamaa and we live for the visual. Keep them heels on even during the do, I 'aint mad with ya.

3/31/2006 06:57:00 pm  
Blogger Kabinti said...

I've basically concluded that there was some "high heel wearing" kamuti that was given out somewhere and I didnt get the memo. So pretty much i adore my flat shoes. Lakini from time to time I do wish that i could rock a pretty heel.

3/31/2006 09:47:00 pm  
Blogger Elle said...

I look and feel better in fairly high heels during workdays, and don't have to walk around that much, so I don't really mind them. But during weekends, it's tennis shoes and flip-flops all the way ...

4/01/2006 04:06:00 pm  
Blogger Kelitu said...

I am a die-hard fan of the heel. Anything 31/2 inches plus...i'm wearing. High heels (among other things) brings out the sex-kitten in me...

4/01/2006 09:52:00 pm  
Blogger Samborera said...

What Stephen said! What Stephen said!

4/03/2006 06:01:00 am  
Blogger Adrian said...

just today i was in a store where they were selling those "maasai" shoes (MBT technology) and they had someone standing there to explain what it's all about and they had a laptop hooked-up with data and stuff.

the lady wanted to explain the stuff to me - told her i'm a maasai and thus ok (though i haven't done many kms barefoot)

4/04/2006 12:53:00 am  
Blogger Medusa said...

I wasn't a fan of flats until my car got rid of me, and I moved to a difft. city where there's plenty of walking to do. Every so often I'll venture out in heels though- especialy a night out ,I simply cannot dance in flats.It's gotta be atleast 3.5inches/higher.
Different strokes I guess..

4/04/2006 07:23:00 pm  
Blogger Farmgal said...

i was having a convo about the whole heels thing with my mate and her boyfi. the boyfi was wondering why anyone want to wear heels then want a piggy back on the way home from the club.
chic said its not about how u look when u get back home but the way you look when you open the door. when he come to pick you up!

heels are torture but it depends on

4/06/2006 08:37:00 pm  
Blogger Shaggy said...

Hey there, have a good weekend.

4/07/2006 08:12:00 pm  
Blogger Shaggy said...

Did you freeze in time??

Hope you are well.

4/18/2006 07:49:00 pm  
Blogger Darius said...

I've had the same thought. It seems really - well, primitive. Like to think someday people will look back and go, "What were they thinking of?" analagously to the foot binding...

4/20/2006 01:02:00 am  
Blogger Shaggy said...

What happened to you.

Tease????

5/01/2006 10:20:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home