Tuesday, March 14, 2006

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

When these letters are put together they are transformed into wonderful and exciting things – BOOKS. A story, a yarn, an adventure, my passport to a different world of make believe. Just think: a bunch of words strung together to create a new world where you meet the Hobbits, dwarfs, elves, the crime fighter, the beautiful spy, the brave soldier, the car that flies, the nanny who makes you go through a stone pavement, the star-crossed lovers. What a world!!!

Reading is a family thing. We all read. One of my fondest childhood memories is of me sitting up high on a tree reading at the back garden of our home way in the country. I carry a book with me always. Even when I am watching the TV, I will sneak a read during commercial breaks. Sometimes the book is more exciting than the TV show. When I am knitting, I will prop the book up and read when the stitches are not complicated.

Books are my sanctuary, my stress busters and my entry into the world of make-believe, where the good guys win, evil defeated and the rights of the downtrodden people restored. If I have to choose between a champagne meal and a good book, the book wins all the time!!!

So long as the story line is good, the book absorbing and there is a minimum of swear words, I will read it. For example, I read Dick Francis who writes about horses, jockeys and things connected with horse riding. Places and people who I have absolutely no connection with, but the heroes are likeable, the storyline clear and the good guys win every day.

The only books I will not read are horror stories and books that encourage evil.

Give me a good book any day, or like DANIEL J. BOORSTEIN says: A wonderful thing about a book, in contrast to a computer screen, is that you can take it to bed with you. Or as KATHARINE MANSFIELD puts it: The pleasure of all reading is doubled when one lives with another who shares the same books or Austin Phelps who says: Wear the old coat and buy the new book.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nyakehu said...

yeah those 26 words are something and being able to use them in a way that makes people think. You know the man who wrote the infamous Da Vinci Code he is in court right now at the Old Bailey on plagarism now that is a story in itself.

3/14/2006 03:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I love books too - my favourite mode of escapism. Reading comes before eating, going out or watching tv so I get you on that!

You can knit and read? Multi-tasking at its best!

3/14/2006 03:55:00 pm  
Blogger Stephen A. Bess said...

I am so fascinated with the writer's ability to weave letters and words into something wonderful and beautiful. That's my goal.

3/14/2006 04:39:00 pm  
Blogger Stunuh Jay said...

Yah know those 26 letters make the difference between boring text book and exciting adventure that takes you from here to some place undiscovered

3/15/2006 02:57:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a lovely post, Uaridi. I cant live without books either.

I have been keeping up on the Dan Brown story, Nyakehu - quite amusing really.

3/15/2006 10:40:00 pm  
Blogger Adrian said...

just to break the monotony from the other comments; i'm not much of a reader myself (though i wish i was, coz i hear it's good to read books)

3/17/2006 04:22:00 pm  
Blogger Milonare said...

Hi Aunty!

I started reading again after a while and noticed a big change in my outlook, creativity etc

I never looked at books as a permutation of those 26 characters!!! Wow - life really is fascinating!!!

3/19/2006 03:47:00 pm  
Blogger Milonare said...

Oh ya:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstvwyz

i.e. missing u

Saw that somewhere and was very jazzed!!!

3/19/2006 03:48:00 pm  
Blogger Ore said...

Reading is one of my favourite things to do, though I never get enough time. I'm on a week's census break and must finish at least 2 books by the time I go back to work. I must, I must, I must!

3/25/2006 10:49:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home